(Fwd) Re: collections/records are in the act of ....

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 31 21:23:19 EDT 2001

Michael,
    My beef is with the attenuation of meager curatorial funds by new
obligations of technological fixes for newly obsolete methods of data storage.
    Technology should be used to create permanent records that do not need
to be updated! Printed records fill this need perfectly. Records that
should be permanent must never be stored on transient media alone.
    The first rule is - make a printed label for the specimen.
A bar-code may be added for convenience, but may not always be readable.
    The second rule is - make a printout of the catalog for the archive!
The electronic database or the media on which it is recorded may not be
always readable.
    The third rule is - publish your catalog.
Several libraries will save your published catalog. Your own institution
may lose it.
    The fourth rule is - don't let the salesman sell you the Emperor's New
Clothes.
Expensive vapor-ware and the equipment to run it on may bankrupt the
institution and create another orphan collection!
............Chris Durden