moth dust

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 6 18:57:30 EDT 2001

Years ago when I used to keep *Peromiscus* mice in captivity I watched on
several occasions their response to moths presented as food. Most moths
were fine and accepted. "Millers" or Noctuids would "shiver" releasing a
cloud of body scales. The mouse would sneeze and lose its grip and the moth
would fly off.
    Allergies often depend on a combination of factors. Many years ago I
eased up on collecting noctuids because they seemed to be allergenic for
me. Presently I am starting to collect them more again.
.............Chris Durden