The expression, "Dead Butterflies"

Sunsol SUNSOL at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 10 09:09:26 EDT 2001

> Excellent point. Excellent point. Excellent point. Now lets look in the
> mirror of it and see what is reflected back. Specimen is an unoffensive
> word

Well, some might think it is a euphemism.

> TIME IN.  Let's get real. There are those who really want to use the word
> MURDER.

Well, lets see, if the butterflies are dead, is it an accident, like road
kill? Is it natural causes, like a virus? For a dead butterfly in a
collection, not likely. They were killed. For a human, that would be murder.
Perhaps you are reacting to the factual word "dead" because you are feeling
a bit guilty about causality.

> One more point to close my case. Do the people who have taken to using the
> term "dead butterflies" rather than "spread or mounted specimens" think
> anyone is so dumb that in looking at the pictures one might mistake them
as
> being alive?

I do think beginners can be confused.

> Ron

> PS  Many terms in life are more accurate. We don't use them however, as
> they are also inflammatory or derogatory.

For example?

Sally