RF Pix - Migrating Ladies or?

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Sun Jun 10 23:50:17 EDT 2001

Folks,

I`d be happy to donate photos of Painted Ladies, but American Butterflies
only wants slides, I see no reason in todays digital age that I should have
to risk sending a slide (valued at $1500 each) to be handled by at least
three people for no compensation. I don`t feel dupes can cut what a good
original scan can do either. I could offer 25 mb digital scans on CD or
online except they won`t take them. And I know that if I scan them they
would be better than most process scanners work anyway for no cost. So with
the standing policy I can not help them, nor would want my slides handled
and returned. I`m sure these kind of ridiculous policies have stopped many
a good photographer from sending in really good slides.

I recently took photos of Painted ladies on Marshalia obovata,
Chrysanthemum leucanthemum, Oenothera fruticosa and Gaillardia pulchella.
Two photos are at http://www.rlephoto.com/butterflies/painted_lady01.html

Saturday while on a seakayak trip this weekend to find 15 Painted Ladies on
Cape Lookout, Harkers Island and Shackleford Banks along North Carolinas
coastal area. We saw many other Vanessa  species on the wing over the sound
and passing by on trails that we didn`t get IDs on. As far as I know our
state high count on the species was 9. Today the Cape Lookout didn`t turn
up one Painted Lady, only 4 American Ladies which we didn`t see any
yesterday. Once arriving at the National Seashore Headquarters at 5:30
today I promptly found 10 Painted Ladies on lantana and white clover in
their lawn. We really didn`t go butterflying, we just happened into them.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography
http://www.rlephoto.com