False connection

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 13 15:02:40 EDT 2001

Thank you Paul for pointing out this clear indication of the official
position of NABA.
    If they have recently changed these positions to something a little
more tolerant of other serious viewpoints I would be happy to support NABA.
    As long as their stated mission is to suppress the collection of
butterflies for any purpose and suppress the use of butterflies in
performence art (yes that is what the releases are) or other art forms - I
want to have nothing to do with NABA.
    I am more offended by the Lippizaner Stallion show than I am by
Monarchs released at a wedding. Released Monarchs are much more
environmentally friendly than are released balloons which tend to choke the
animals that find and eat them, including Sea Turtles and young Seals.
    Yes this is butterfly business. Yes the topic is getting old and
boring, but the anti-collectors keep mentioning it again and again.
..................Chris Durden