Butterflies Nectar Preferences

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Jun 23 07:04:43 EDT 2001

We are very fond of Peonies (which I think are in the Buttercup
family) and have about 80 plants, many of which were obtained by my
grandmother more than 75 years ago.  Almost all are "doubles" and I have
never seen a butterfly on bud or blossom.

They certainly are fragrant, however, and they are a favorite of Tiko,
the Amazon Parrot that owns us. Tiko will dismantle a Peony and bite off
the base of each "petal", crush it with his tongue, and then drop it.
(Joanna Burger, my wife, describes this behavior in her book THE PARROT
WHO OWNS ME).  Even after an 11 month absence from the house, Tiko
virtually instantaneously recognizes a Peony and distinguishes it from
other cut flowers that we bring in throughout the year, in which he
generally shows no interest.

There are, however, single Peonies which might have more nectar or be
more attractive.

I wonder what butterflies Mary Beth has seen at Peonies.