Butterflies Nectar Preferences - roses they use

Barb Beck barb at birdnut.obtuse.com
Sat Jun 23 09:31:22 EDT 2001

Hi,

Butterflies do nectar on some roses.

On our ranch in California we had a huge rose garden.  This was at a time
when only part of the oak grass woodland in the central valley of California
was broken and before no-till agriculture.  The area near Visalia California
was very very rich in butterflies.

The butterflies ignored many of the roses in the garden but we had one bush,
a small dwarf rose (the bush was large)  which we called the "butterfly
bush"   The variety was Cecil Bruner.  It had small pink  roses on it the
size of a quarter to fifty cent piece in diameter when fully open.

Although the butterflies appear to nectar form some roses I have never
observed them on the wild roses we have growing abundantly here in Alberta,
Canada.

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada