UV lights

Monarchrst at aol.com Monarchrst at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 14:01:24 EDT 2001

Leroy, I use a straight 15 watt fluorescent from BioQuip and most of the time
I also cover it with the plastic mesh protector that must cut down its
efficiency.  However, I have almost too many moths coming to that light.  I
use the protector because I have several cats that love to hunt the moths at
night and often knock the light over.

Recently, I compared the efficiency of the above mentioned fluorescent with
the BioQuip 160 watt MV self-ballasted light.  I alternated them night by
night in the same location and in the same trap under constant weather
conditions (not difficult here in the desert!).  The 15 watt was much more
efficient that the more powerful MV - the latter was drawing about 80% of the
numbers of macro and micro leps of the fluorescent.  Some of the smaller
hymenoptera, coleoptera and water "bugs" from the small adjacent canal were a
lot less abundant also, a good thing with the catches we get.

I do want to pose a question of the readers though.  All my earlier
collecting years were in England.  There the MV bulbs were amazingly
efficient.  The self-ballasted ones were not so common and the normal
ballasted ones were all opaque on the outside.  They came typically in 80 or
125 watt power.  Leroy or anyone, are you aware of these, are they available
in the US and why did they seem to be so efficient.  Given what I get to 15
watt fluorescent, I was fully expecting to be blown away when I tried the 160
watt MV and was disappointed.  Any explanations?

Ian Watkinson, Yuma, Arizona