UV Lights

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 22:45:46 EDT 2001

Rich / Ian:

I also design and build free standing rigs (setups) for collecting nocturnal
insects. As a result, I have experimented with virtually every size and watt
MV bulb and UV straight tube. I have never heard of a parabolic sheet. If you
have the article/thesis available, I would very much like to read it.

I have never found self ballasting bulbs very effective when used alone. Add
some UV tubes, and they work well together. I have been told that the current
process for manufacturing self ballasting bulbs actually over powers the blue
with white in the light spectrum. Increasing the blue with UV corrects the
white. I have no documentation to prove these statements. However, place your
160 watt MV above your 15 watt UV tube on a wall and I think you will see a
tremendous difference. And the cats won't come near the 160 watt bulb. It
"hurts" their eyes.

The inside of some MV bulbs are coated with a UV blocking material. There is
a number on the bulb. The only letters should be "MV." If the "MV" is
followed with a "C" of "P," the UV light is being altered. Also, the purity
of the mercury material in the bulbs arc chamber will effect the performance
of the bulb. If you want some truly boring technical reading, get a copy of
any book that deals with the technical design of light bulbs. Gray and
Collins 1966 book "Advances in Light Technology" explains how bulbs "work."
Krakowski 1949 work entitled. "Let there be Light" explains the light
spectrum in great detail. If you like some great boring reading, enjoy!

The rig that I built for my own use is 96 height by 88 wide. I use a double
mount (One for each side of the sheet) of 175 Watt MV.  Two double mounts of
40 Watt BL UV and BLB UV tubes. At both upper vertical top joints I mount
either a double or single mount 250 Watt sun lamps. I can turn off any part
of the lights during operation. A partial picture of one off my sheet setup
appears in the News of the Lep. Soc. 1999 Vol. 41, No 4. Another partial
photograph appears in the Arizona Lep. website.

During the 1999 Lep. Soc. meeting in Arizona, moths literally covered both
sides of the sheet every night we used it. We depart for Arizona in several
weeks for a collecting trip and two of these free standing rigs will be with
us. I intend to light up Arizona!

The effectiveness of your UV/MV lights in your area will be determined by the
brightness of urban light reflection, the moon and the moth population.  I
have learned that weather, urban reflection, the moon and adult moth
populations will determine the results. In the Florida Keys, the mosquito
control spraying that was done for years severely effected insect
populations. Once it was stopped, the moth population had a recovery.
However, some species were never seen again.

I have seen 1000 watt MV bulbs draw in thousands of moths. I have also seen
them draw in virtually nothing as well, while a 15 watt light trap several
hundred feet away is full.

I cannot explain why these things happen. I do however, know what works for
me. I also know what works for me may not work for you. As I said above, I
think I know why. I just have no real proof.

Have you taken many butterflies at your lights? Since I began to keep a
record, I have recorded 64 species of butterflies drawn to UV or MV light. I
have taken more butterflies at UV than MV. While lighting up Black Mountain
last weekend with my rig and 15 watt light traps, I took a Speyeria cybele in
a light trap.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road