Where in South Florida?

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Mon Mar 19 14:25:37 EST 2001

I ask all private respondents to pose their questions to all participants.
We all learn from each other.  I restrict my answers to the USA.

Public property is owned by the public (sometimes called the government),
such as preserves, parks, and highways.  Private property is owned by
private entities.  Gas stations and restaurants, except concessions on
public property, are private property.  When I'm in doubt, I ask.  I
personally like gas stations for collecting moths.

All collectors, anywhere, should be aware that public property may require
permits - in the Florida Keys permits are absolutely necessary for
collecting on public property.  If you are not sure, go someplace else.

As for private property, there are no special rules for the Florida Keys.
The permission will be given by willing owners and denied by others.  I have
no idea if someone will have me arrested for trespassing, but if I'm not
sure, I go someplace else.  For me, there is no specimen worth breaking the
law and ending up in court.  Discretion should be the rule.  I have a very
low risk tolerance.

When I ask for permission to collect moths on private property, the typical
response is "Sure, take 'em all."  I've also been turned down to collect on
private property.  I'm never bothered if I'm turned down because if someone
doesn't want me there, I don't want to be there.

It is always a good idea to get permission before entering private property,
but sometimes nearly impossible when no private property owner is evident.
In these latter cases, the collector should take all precautions to be
discrete.  My personal rule is to find a place where I can identify the
property owner and obtain permission.  Otherwise I don't collect.

These principles for being a legal collector should apply in most places in
the United States, not just the Florida Keys.

Let's keep this discussion public.

Cheers from sunny Ohio.

Eric Metzler

news:3ab56d6a$0$53486$f5f63664 at news.tdin.com...