verbage re Butterfly scandal

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Mar 22 02:08:11 EST 2001

To Neil and all,
    Impressions and opinions are subjective. However, to the person who
holds them they are absolute reality. Facts, statistics, and such are aimed
at the rational brain. We humans obviously still rely a great deal on
feelings and impressions. Strong feelings can not be fought with facts.
Why? Because the feeling is fact to the one who holds it - the Cow IS
sacred. My fact is that my impression, interpretation, application of the
logger-poison-account-facts is that they are fishy. That (my impression) is
a fact.
    Next, the below post of Neil's is the first time in my life I have ever
heard of Ron Arnold. I have no idea who he is or what he is about. I have
however, heard the phrase "Facts don't really matter, in politics
perception is the reality" or very close to it.  I have heard this reported
as the credo of US liberals and not US conservatives - I would assume
Arnold is a conservative. Regardless, as an apolitical person, my
impression is that that saying IS the motto of ALL who are in politics.
(Which, by the way, it is you, Neil, who has characterized the Monarch
situation and environmentalism in general as politicized entities.) I agree
with this. Which is why I am interested in what all sides have to say and
evidence, and why I don't automatically believe any of it.    Time out.

    Let's remember than when I sold my lucrative dental prosthetics
business and went full time into Christian ministry in the early 1980s I
basically dropped out of the world of Lepidopterology and everything
directly associated with it. Other than occasional correspondence and my
Lep Soc subscription I was Rumpelstiltskin. Any and all spare time I did
have for leps was devoted entirely to my own research. Having awakened and
returned to the Leps world in 1998 I found and am still finding things very
different then they were 15 years ago. (I am liking less and less about
what I am finding.) I was marginally aware of various iceberg tips - the
collecting vs. watcher debate, poachers, laws, etc. but that was it. Let's
also remember that I did not have email nor was I hooked up to the Web till
2000!!!!

    Moving more into editorial mode.
    Back to topic. I absolutely find Paul's posts very interesting - why
shouldn't I? I can think too. I also find Neil's interesting, and numerous
others. I do find that, as in all sided debates, some are very good at
dishing it out but they sure can't take it. Those who can't take it (on
both sides of a debate) invariably end up as whiners, sore losers, insult
throwers, but worst of all very mean spirited attackers of all who have the
gall to not agree with them. There is not even any room for an observer to
say of the other side: "Hey, they have a point there." Blasphemy! Elephants
unite, stomp the mouse! Fear the squeek! Don't listen to that man behind
the curtin (of Oz).
     Wow, I didn't say if I agreed or not with Paul. I just said his posts
interested me. To disallow not only disagreement but even interest is
Fascism. (I did not call anyone a Fascist - however Fascism is as Fascism
does. So if someone is wearing the shoe, don't blame anyone else if it
fits.) At this point I have a choice to not enter into something I am very
good at - a word fight, insult for insult. This is part of my "sinful"
underbelly I am still trying to keep in check. Thus, I will leave the US
vs. Europe bitch session alone.
    I will address one section/aspect of Neil's post where he said: "I
really don't think you [Ron] understand. People don't do it for the money
they do it for science or for the butterflies. Money is not a particular
motivator for many people. It certainly isn't for me. My work as a
conservationist costs me a small fortune and I don't seek any financial
recompense. I do this because I have always been fascintated by the way the
world works and I don't want to see the scientific wonders of nature
destroyed."
    Let me explain how well I do understand. I would have been a
millionaire several times over had I kept my dental prosthetics business. I
gave it all up to serve people full time. I have a very small home, two
modest cars, no health/medical insurance, no retirement fund, no savings
account, I currently make $300 to $600 a week gross. Isn't that where
everyone over 55 would like to be? Serving humanity is much more important
than serving bugs. However, I also serve that part of God's creation also.
I have not made a penny off of any of my research. I have put all I have
been paid by the US Forest Service, US F&W, DNR etc (about $12,000 doing
endangered and rare species surveys, training sessions etc.) into the
International Lepidoptera Survey and its research work. I have also donated
much personal funds into this research. Neil, while you can probably buy
and sell me with you assets many times over, per-capita I (and by creature
comfort depravation my family) have probably sacrificed as much or more
than you, and many others, to further the awareness of "the _scientific_
wonders of nature." (I apologize to all readers for allowing myself to get
into a beatification contest.)
    I might disagree vociferously with a lot of people about a lot of the
contemporary lepidopteran issues. But I would NEVER even insinuate (let
alone actually accuse) that someone, especially if I hardly knew them, of a
lack of passion or personal sacrifice relative to THEIR heart's desire or
resource commitment to loving, preserving, or helping Butterflies and
Moths.
    RG
    Post Script. Having said all this, I feel vented and ready for the next
goround. What's next? What is desired to be said - long or short, on
lepidoptera or lepidopterists, and by whom?
I like Neil
I like Paul
I like Jesus
Most of all.