iroides/augustinus

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:54:30 EST 2001

Norbert,
    And be prepared to later change your 'final' opinion after there have
been later developments.
    This is the real "Scientific Method" as described by Chamberlin, about
1911 in Science Magazine and reprinted many times since under the heading
of "Multiple Working Hypotheses". Basically consider all possibillities
concurrently, favor the hypothesis that fits the full sum of latest
observations but do not let it rule and be prepared to smoothly change to
one of the other hypotheses when the first is shot down. Under this regimen
one is obligated to cultivate a whole warren of hare-brained ideas on the
chance that one of them is right. Think of it as weasel wit. This is much
more satisfying (to me) than to pick a favorite hare and beat it to death
right or wrong, much as the human anthropologists and cancer researchers do.
...........Chris Durden