Tale of Two Continents --

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Nov 7 14:01:44 EST 2001

John Grehan flabbergasted the following:

> Perhaps Mark could quote the definition itself and also
> mention which god
> is being referred to here. It would also be interesting (at
> least to me) to
> know if any other gods also provided definitions for species.
>
> I would also be interested to have clarified how something
> divinely crafted
> can be "defined" by random permutations. I can't follow the
> logic here.

"each according to it's kind" - whatever that means, I'm certain it's not
what we think it means.  I'm convinced the true definition allows for much
more variation than we think.  On the other hand, I don't personally
consider a wing a variation of a hand.

The God I refer to is the one true and holy God of Israel.  There are no
other gods.  I'm confident that you'll acknowledge that some day.  All
y'all.

Back in 1993 I defined a software learning paradigm based on neural networks
and fuzzy systems.  I gave it the name "Fuzzy Adaptive Autonomy", and it
specified a process for learning based on the optimization of an underlying
cost function.  The actual learning, however, depended on stimuli that
resulted from a random walk.  I believe God has designed the universe in a
similar fashion.  His design includes an enriching component that makes good
use of happenstance - allowing for unexpected behavior.  It's the sort of
thing that prevents any two snowflakes from being identical, or the thing
that allows two cloud filled skies to be the authors of two different
stories.

Sorry if you can't follow the logic.  Perhaps it isn't logical at all.  God
always told us that His ways would make no sense to our 3-D, made-of-clay
pea brains.  Understanding full well the insignificance of my own pea brain,
I'm content to take His word for it.

Mark Walker
still agonizing in nerve pain in Oceanside, CA