Polites origenes or P. themistocles?

Andrew Warren warrena at bcc.orst.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:44:49 EST 2001

Hello,

Excellent review, Ron!  I agree that themistocles is a nasty can of worms.
Series of Colorado material are clearly larger, paler, and better marked
in general when compared to E OKLA, TENN, and GA series (that I have).  NY
material is slightly more fulvous than the E US material I have.  The
total distribution of the CO phenotype is unclear to me; S UT material is
even larger still with more extensive fulvous areas.  Far western
populations (N CA, BC and vic., probably E WA and ORE) are Freeman's ssp.
turneri (this has been ignored by most authors); these are smaller than
other western material with darker fulvous markings, in some ways
resembling the SE US phenotype.  Old (1940's) and rare specimens from NE
ORE could represent another separate phenotype (this is another issue
since these pops. need to be rediscovered and possibly only 1 specimen
is extant).

More to the point, I agree with Ron that the very best way to
differentiate female themistocles and origenes is size (this seems
constant wherever the two species co-occur).  I had called the two
individuals in the photos themistocles mostly because I did not realize
origenes had such an extended fall flight in the SE USA.  I admit that I
could not be sure what species the top photo (the "tricky" one in my
opinion) is without seeing the specimen spread on a pin.  It does seem a
bit too fulvous to be an origenes, however, as Ron noted.  I still lean
towards themistocles for both of them (based mostly of the extensive
fulvous areas on both).

I have noted considerable variation in long series of female themistocles
from any given locality (eastern and western populations show considerable
variation in sizes and colors of spots, and amount of fulvous scaling),
and therefore did not place too much importance on any of the wing
characters showing on the two photos.  Without a way to evaluate the
actual size of the specimens in the photos, definitive determinations are
probably not possible without an excellent knowledge of the grasses
present in the habitats where the photos were taken (origenes feed on
only a few hosts; themistocles on many including lawn grasses).

Best,

Andy Warren