another trash name

Jaakko Kullberg jaakko.kullberg at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 10 15:39:55 EDT 2001

Hi there!

"Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" <Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:60F1FEB31CA3D211A1B60008C7A45F430EDAB476 at blaze.bcsc.gov.bc.ca...

A truely
> excellent piece of work by Nylin et al 2001 presents sufficient reasons to
> cause me to place it in the genus Polygonia. People who like very narrowly
> defined monotyypic genera will want to place it in Roddia. Nymphalis does
> not appear to be defensible any longer.

I agree that the work of Hylin et al. is excellent. However I feel that it
would be the most informative way to join all these nearly monotypic genera
to one entity - Nymphalis (= + Polygonia (=Roddia), Kanaske, Inachis,
Aglais). These genera are merely different species groups. Even the Leps
themselves have problems with relatioships to each other: Aglais urticae
males are often very interested i to do "it" with  Inachis io and N.
antiopa. Lumping of  all these genera together with each other is - as I
remember - strongly supported in cladogram and undoubtly they form a nice
monophyletic group. This lumping is much easier to understand if we look
underside of wings and do not let the bright colour disturb.

How you feel?

jaska