Florida

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Apr 8 19:43:17 EDT 2002

Stan,

Believe it or not, you can find lots of great leps within minutes of your
hotel.  Late April could very well be one of the best times to go, also.

I always enjoy driving out towards Kissimmee (and past Kissimmee towards St.
Cloud) - look for lantana, especially in old abandoned orange groves.  In
late April 1998 I found lantana loaded with Great Purple Hairstreaks.
You'll find all your swallowtails in this habitat, also.  Look for skippers
along roadsides with plenty of surrounding reeds, grasses, and palmetto
(highways heading east are best).  The little white flowers (bidens) are
good attractants, as are any thistle that might be in bloom.  North of
Orlando is good, too.  I found a nice series of White-M Hairstreaks on
lantana that was growing in a ditch along highway 40 just east of Ocala.  I
did all my collecting during lunch breaks (one to two hours), so you
shouldn't have any problem finding bugs even with your limited schedule.  In
fact, you might find that a couple of hours are about all you can handle!

Ocala National Forest can be good, though you'll do best where there is
plenty of nectar.

I know many other places that are good, but are more like an hour away.  Let
me know if you want more suggestions.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Mark Walker.

-------------------

Stan wrote:

I will be attending a work related conference in Orlando (will be staying
near Disney Land-The All Star Music Resort) from the 14th to the 17th. I
won't have much time to do any collecting, if at all. About all I have is
possibly the morning of the 14th, and the late afternoon and evening of the
17th. Can anyone recommend any collecting spots near Orlando for both
butterflies and moths (although I am not a serious Heterocera'er(moth'er))?
Should I just forget about any kind of collecting given the short time I
have? It seems the latter is probably the best course of action. Any advice
would be appreciated. Stan