Butterfly-performance

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 07:41:08 EDT 2002

On Friday 12 April 2002 10:11 am, P.s wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2002 19:07:31 -0700, mbpi at juno.com wrote:
> >Oh come on... I'm going to be the first to expose "Petter" (alias Peter)
> >as a "prankster..."
>
> The only thing exposed here now is your own stupidity I am afraid.
> Seems to me your mind have been to long in its "cocoon"...what on
> pluto could the prank possibly be about?

I think to be fair to Mary Beth, Petter, there are possibly a few things that
of which you are unaware.

Firstly you are posting to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera (SBEL) It is a
rather unusual newsgroup in that it is "gated" to a list. That is to say that
everything  sent to SBEL is sent to a mailing list called Leps-L
and everything on LEPS-L gets sent to SBEL. You may still be able to access
some of the stuff I am referring to from your newserver.

Secondly we have recently been plagued with hoaxes.
We had someone posting a diatribe attacking butterfly collectors.
This was signed with a name that used a reference to British
slang which the Americans didn't understand.
After a heated discussion I had to explain to everyone that they were being
provoked by a joker.

Then there was a woman asking for advice on childcare which was also a weird
hoax. We're pretty sure of that. Why "on pluto" we do not know!

Then there was a Nigerian trying to get our bank account details to swindle
everybody.

It is also not unknown for us to have someone on the list who is clearly
showing some of the symptoms of a mental illness.

So you can see people are very used to hoaxes and tend to believe that
anything strange is a hoax.

Your being Norwegian may explain things. American and British people
have a different cultural attitude towards nudity. I am suffering myself  at
the moment because Americans have a different and much more old-fashioned
attitude towards religion than we British (and for that matter most western
Europeans ) do.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
NOTE NEW WEB ADDRESS