Miami Blue Restoration project

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Fri Apr 26 04:44:19 EDT 2002

My very dear fellow butterfliers,
I have received this letter from Jeff Glassberg. As far as I know, the
only Miami Blue project being carried on by the NABA Miami Blue and
Atala Chapters is the Miami Blue Butterfly Restoration Project, which
many of you are already involved in.
As you know, I am one of the founding members of the Atala Chapter, and
have been an enthusiastic and active member of NABA since its earliest days.
Unless there is another project I don't know about, Jeff is therefore
endorsing this project. So those of you who have hesitated can jump in
without qualms.
Connie Clark has sent a CD with the text for the Gardening for
Butterflies and Children in South Florida book to Lee, at the Mounts,
and with  a few small changes it will be ready to print and distribute.
I won't trouble you all with these minuteae but will write those involved.
Please email me and Jose Muniz <jmuniz at amazingbutterflies.com> if you
wish to join the Miami Blue Crew and help with this project, and we will
be delighted to put you to work.
We will have no extra problems if the butterfly is listed as endangered,
since the permit can be held by one of the organizations involved, and
legal issues will be settled, as they have been for the Schaus
Swallowtail, so that all private individuals involved will be covered.
No action may be taken in this project without specific permission from
the Governing Body of the Miami Blue Butterfly Recovery Project.
Happy Gardening
Anne Kilmer
Task Force Director
Miami Blue Butterfly Restoration Project

4/9/2002

Dear Ms Kilmer,
Thank you for your recent message regarding Miami Blues.  The North American
Butterfly Association (NABA)has initiated efforts to save Miami Blues.  NABA
petitioned the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to list Miami Blue as an
endangered species, and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has found that the
petition provided substantial information that listing this species may be
warranted.  Because NABA is vitally interested in the conservation of this
butterfly, we are continuing our efforts on the butterfly's behalf by
organizing activities to study and conserve it.  We encourage all
responsible individuals who are interested in this butterfly to join NABA's
efforts on its behalf.  At the local level, these efforts are being led by
the NABA-Miami Blue and NABA-Atala chapters.  Interested parties should
contact these chapters. Contact information can be found at the NABA web
site, www.naba.org
Again, thank you for your interest.
Sincerely,
Jeffrey Glassberg