[leps-talk] butterflies and orchards

Charles Bordelon legitintellexit at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 18:10:48 EST 2002

While at A&M research center, I remember using a lot of Orthene 75S.  This
was very effective on lep larvae, and stinkbugs.  It is a systemic.  And
very safe for humans.  We worked with bacterial agents, that were also very
effective.  Funny, the EPA gave us a ton of paperwork on Orthene, and deemed
it OK for rice, but not soybeans.  Now we all know rice grows in water, and
there is ebb and flow; much of the overspray goes back to the water.  They
would not approve it on soybeans, up on high ground.  Go figure.  We worked
with many contact compounds, many only numbered, and very dangerous.  I
remember Furadan and Karate, both also used on rice.  Again, go figure...  I
belive you could contact, whom I think is an expert in this field, and
published many papers, Dr. M.O. Way.  He did much work in California, and I
believe earned his doctorate at Berkely.  He is the entomologist at the
Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in Beaumont, TX.  I only can recall
his address at 240 Clemmons, Beaumont, TX, 77706.  ED RILEY, at A&M  can
probably give you an email address at work. Ed is at egrchryso at tamu.net .
Mo is quite knowlegeable in this field.  I'd give him a shout.  "if anyone
knows, Mo knows."  Hope this helps  cb