Endangered species act

Mike Soukup mikayak3 at home.net
Fri Feb 8 13:36:25 EST 2002

As an example, I know a man who collected dead birds on the road and used them
to practice taxidermy.  Well, of course he had some "songbirds".  A man from
USF&W heard of him, befriended him for 6 months (never telling him he was USF&W
- actually had dinner with him and his wife), then had him arrested (by dozens
of armed USFW folks pointing guns at them).  He was eventually exonerated - but
it cost him about $20,000 in legal fees.

Power corrupts.  Period.

Now, I have no problem with the law preventing the killing of songbirds.  But,
this is just one example of what "good intentions" can lead to.  Our government
was set up to be a representative democracy.  Unfortnately, our gutless
politicians have pushed thier responsibilities onto un-elected and
un-accountable "agencies" (BATF, USFW, DEA) - who do what they want with no
repurcussions or reprisals.  Like the folks who planted the Lynx hair out west.
They weren't fired.  They were reprimanded.  In reality, they should be spending
about 10 years each in jail to ponder thier lies.  Sure, they say they were just
"testing the system".  I'll try that excuse if I get pulled over for drunk
driving. (even though I don't drink!!).  "Uh, yes officer,. I only did this to
test you guys"..... yeah, right.