pickle fork question

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Sun Jan 6 18:08:55 EST 2002

Use the pickle fork in the thorax to hold the specimen in place while
you fold the wings over the thorax without getting your fingers in the
way.  Remove the pickle fork before (while) placing the specimen in the
envelope.  You remove the pickle fork by tightly/gently grasping the
thorax with thumb and forefinger of one hand while pulling the fork away
with the other hand.  The specimen can be inside or outside the envelope
  when you remove the fork.

The pickle fork pierces the exoskeleton and would not be likely for live
butterflies unless they were were being dispatched while in the envelope.

Use the pickel fork for only freshly dispatched specimens, or very
relaxed specimens.

I don't have the dexterity to use the pickle fork method nor do I paper
any specimens, but I've seen Dave Winter use the fork with great dexterity.

It's been snowing all day in Columbus Ohio today.  Darn !!

Eric Metzler