Thanks Uncle Sam

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Jan 7 12:12:56 EST 2002

Neil wrote:

<much snippage>

He has obviously been supplied as a
> "rent-a-quote" by somebody.

Everyone here by now knows that I do indeed have somewhat of a slant to my
views.  In other words, I do tend to be 'labelable', though I don't like
labels and consider them a sign of ignorance (how's that for a piece of
hypocrisy).  On the other hand, I often find myself lacking strong opinion
and enjoy playing the position of devil's advocate (hmmmm, I'd prefer it if
the position of inquisitive indifference were more historically associated
with the winning side, but that's English for you).

Anyway - I once again find it amusing that both sides frame their arguments
so similarly.  How often indeed have we heard our friend Mr. Cherubini argue
against the very same problem?  I don't think he has ever referred to it as
a "rent-a-quote" problem, but that's as succinct a way of describing it as I
can think of.  I seem to recall a number of names that keep showing up, for
example, in all those Monarch doom and gloom reports that are so popularly
printed.  Same names, and they always have soooo much to say (er, quote).

Anyway - it would do us all good to recognize that we're not so different
after all, and that our arguments and concerns are equally valid and equally
absurd.

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA