New Zealand leps

John R. Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Mon Jan 7 17:12:16 EST 2002

At 03:53 PM 1/7/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Mark is very eloquent as usual, but aren't there any butterflies
>anywhere? MIKE GOCHFELD

I guess that's the price of presumably most people (including myself)
active on the list being located in the northern hemisphere where its
pretty quiet right now. If I had my old books I could write some notes
about New Zealand butterflies and moths for northern winter postings -
not that I have extensive knowledge about either. Anyone going that
way will be in for a disappointment for butterfly diversity (about 26 or so
including exotics) although moths are quite strong with about 1760
Lepidoptera in total. A couple of the New Zealand butterfly species
were only discovered in  1978! To help while away the northern winter I
think I'll find a few minutes to post some notes
from publications to hand - if its not too boring to hear about species
that most on the list may not be familiar with.

John

John Grehan
Frost Entomological Museum
Pennsylvania State University