Dermestids

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Wed Jan 9 18:02:40 EST 2002

I use Paradichlorobenzene, but vapona appears to be the least
offensive.  I have observed that chlorocresol _may_ be a repellant to
dermestids even if it may not kill them.  I had a bunch of papered
specimens in a box in storage for probably over 20 years.  When I opened
it I expected to see nothing but dermestid dust but there was nothing of
the sort. The box also contained felt (which had been used for another
purpose) that had been fumigated with chlorocresol and still smelled
with it.  It could be I lucked out in not having dermestids, but I am
wondering if the chlorocresol may be a repellant to adult dermestids.
Has anyone observed anything like this?
Stan