Glassberg tells reporters collectors "could wipe out" the Miami Blue

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:32:26 EST 2002

>Listers,

         Okay, I couldn't stay out.

         In reference to my previous post, it also bothers me that a lot of
the potential legislation to protect species only comes *when they have
already been reduced* in number to practically nothing.  I know that this
is not always the case and that I am simplifying, but I think you
understand my point.

         Also, before I make this next statement, please understand I am
*not* condoning collecting anything that is seriously endangered.  But
without appropriate protection, if a species is *going   to go extinct*,
would you not rather have the last specimens some place you can study them
than simply gone?  I will admit to you that I would rather have seen the
last 300 to 400 Xerces blues in a collection available to scientists
somewhere than bulldozed into the ground under an airport.  But, of course
you cannot foresee extinction as a certainty, and so cannot condone
collection of such species.

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235