Fw: Re: NABA proposes policy that could harm nearly 1,000,000 Painted Ladies

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Sat Jan 12 12:02:04 EST 2002

Hello...

I suspect you are misinterpreting this proposal by assuming that the
butterflies in question should be "painted" by the "releasers..."  I
would assume quite the opposite:  that the BREEDERS who sell the
butterflies (and have the experience handling live butterflies) should
"mark their merchandise" BEFORE distributing them to the consumer...

See how easy it is to "misconstrue" what one reads when one is
"prejudiced"?!

M.B. Prondzinski

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:17:58 -0800 (PST) "Bob Parcelles,Jr."
<rjparcelles at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Paul Cherubini <monarch at saber.net> wrote:
> > The following appeared in the current copy of American Butterflies
>
> > published by NABA:
> >
> > "We urge you to write the USDA and make the following points:
> > The proposed regulations can not adequately meet the needs of
> > scientists interested in tracking migratory movements of Painted
> > and/or American Ladies. At the least, the USDA should require
> > small color dots on farmed butterflies intended for release, so
> > that butterfliers can recognize individuals in the field as far
> > animals, not wild butterflies."
> >
> > HOW  COULD 1,000,000 PAINTED LADIES BE HARMED? :
> > Each year Insect Lore, a California based Painted Lady breeding
> > operation supplies schools, brides, grooms, widows and widowers
> > with nearly 1,000,000 Painted Lady caterpillars or chrysalids.
> When
> > the adult Painted Ladies emerge, they are released without ever
> > having
> > to forcibly handle or manipulate the butterflies in anyway. For
> > example,
> > in the case of wedding and funeral releases, each Painted Lady
> > adult
> > is packaged in its own little box that springs open after a
> > securing
> > string is removed.
> >
> > Now if brides, widowers and school children are required to
> > forcibly
> > hold down a fragile and struggling Painted Lady, while trying to
> > paint
> > colored dots on them, the risk of butterfly injury is obviously
> > going
> > to be high.
> >
> > NABA's proposed colored dot marking policy appears to contradict
> > it's website mission statement:  "NABA, a non-profit
> organization,
> > is working to promote the public enjoyment and conservation of
> > butterflies."
> >
> > Paul Cherubini
>

> Paul,
>
> This is one time I agree with you wholeheartedly. While, I still
> question m"mixing up populuations", I think statisticaly this might
> be going to extremes.
>
> Bob
>
> =====
> Bob Parcelles, Jr
> Pinellas Park, FL
> RJP Associates, C2M-BWPTi
> rjparcelles at yahoo.com
> "Change your thoughts and you change your world."
> - Norman Vincent Peale

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.