What is a lepidopterist?

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Jan 29 19:26:57 EST 2002

Paul Cherubini wrote:

> Anne Kilmer wrote:
>

>>Why here we are, all working together to save the Miami Blue
>>

> Yes and releases of captive reared Miami Blues are a part of your
> plan to save it.  How ironic that for years Neil, Glassberg, yourself,
> etc. have voiced great opposition to releases of captive reared
> monarchs and painted ladies yet now you all stand united in
> favor of releases to save a butterfly from extinction.

I fail to see the irony. Are you suggesting that the monarchs and
painted ladies are needed by the environment, in some way?

I have, from the beginning, thought ...  and said ... that I wished
breeders would raise and release rare butterflies, rather than adding to
  the confusing clutter of common species.

> Are you all going to abide by the NABA requirement to paint
> small color dots on these farm reared Miami Blues so
> that butterfly watchers can distinguish them as farmed
> Blues and not wild butterflies?
> http://www.mindspring.com/~cherubini/naba.jpg
>
> Paul Cherubini

As Bob points out, these butterflies are sufficiently improbable to
catch the eye. However, I wonder whether it might be possible for
professional breeders to dye them in some way, so that spotters can tell
them. With all the potential action, it would be nice to know where a
particular colony came from. I understand that butterflies are dyed to
match a bride's gown. Might the blues be dyed ... for instance, blue ...
with coloring in the larval food, and would that affect their ability to
attract a mate?
We plan to keep excellent records, which is the point of The
International Lepidoptera Survey in the first place, and at least at
first it will be easy to tell whether a group of butterflies were
released or came out of the swamp. Once the children get interested and
start watching for them, i'm betting we'll find other colonies of Miami
Blues.
Thank you for your interest,
Anne Kilmer
Steering Committee