advice

jh jhimmel at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 23 17:17:53 EDT 2002

I went to Venezuela that time of year a couple years ago and found the
butterflying in the cloud forests (Merida and LaMucuy) to be excellent.  The
rain wasn't too bad because it was early enough in the rainy season, but the
humidity can definitely be a problem for cameras.  I kept mine in a large
zip lock bag filled with moisture absorbent desiccant packs and had no
trouble.  I'm not sure how to get the packs, though - I got mine from a
friend who works for a local cable company.

You will need a flash for a lot of the forest photography, but in many
cases, butterflies being butterflies, you will find them out in the full
sun.  It's generally a good idea to use smaller roles of film (12-24 shots)
to allow you to switch back and forth between fast and slower film.

Incidentally, I also just cancelled a trip to India - a little too dicey
over there.

Good luck -

John

John Himmelman