advice

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 23 18:47:40 EDT 2002

Simon -
The last time I went to Venezuela was to the eastern and southeastern parts,
ie Rancho Grande to the Gran Savanna.  Good paved road all the way.
We went in the rainy season.  The rains seemd to start every day at 4:30
PM - but the rest of the day was beautiful birds, butterflies and orchids
and other flowers everywhere.
John's advice about bringing shorter rolls of film - 12 or 24 instead of 36
is a good one - as the moisture apparently can cause the film to swell and
jam.
A lot of the most interesting species are interior forest species - so at
least a fill flash might not hurt.  Also butterflies here seem to come to
bait quite nicely, rotten fruit, and nasty stuff work.
If you have a passion for skippers look for army ant raiding parties with
ant bird followers and chew some tissue to look like bird dropppings and put
these on leaves.  It will attract skippers.
Wish I could go too!

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html