A reply on common names

Martin Bailey cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 30 09:44:20 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Gatrelle" <gatrelle at tils-ttr.org>
To: "Leps-l" <Leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Cc: "TILS group" <TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 12:30 AM
Subject: A reply on common names

> So is that Imperial Moth in the northeastern US a subspecies or not?  It
> has a subspecific name - but no common one.  I bet if if was know as the
> New York Imperial it would get some attention in the Empire State.

Classical music CDs with  names on it such as "The Moonlight Sonata" by
Beethoven sell better than those that list the piece as Sonata number 14,
Opus 27, number 2 in C sharp minor.  (For that matter, I doubt if any record
company would be crazy enough to use anything other name than The Moonlight
Sonata on its product's cover!)

Martin Bailey