Miami Blues

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Tue May 7 18:46:42 EDT 2002

On Jan 24 this year Alex Grkovich wrote the following with
regard to the Miami Blue:

"Well, I was literally tripping all over them last weekend on
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands."
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/virgin.jpg

A question I have is whether or not the Miami Blue that
is abundant in the Caribbean is genetically distinct (to more
than a trivial degree) from the Miami Blue that is found in
the Florida Keys?  If not, then maybe the Key's population
does not warrant endangered species status protection.

A couple years ago geneticist Bruce Walsh seemed to
have made this point in regard to the Palos Verdes Blue
here in California.