Miami Blues

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 19:53:58 EDT 2002

--- Paul Cherubini <monarch at saber.net> wrote:
> On Jan 24 this year Alex Grkovich wrote the following with
> regard to the Miami Blue:
>
> "Well, I was literally tripping all over them last weekend on
> St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands."
> http://www.saber.net/~monarch/virgin.jpg
>
> A question I have is whether or not the Miami Blue that
> is abundant in the Caribbean is genetically distinct (to more
> than a trivial degree) from the Miami Blue that is found in
> the Florida Keys?  If not, then maybe the Key's population
> does not warrant endangered species status protection.
>
> A couple years ago geneticist Bruce Walsh seemed to
> have made this point in regard to the Palos Verdes Blue
> here in California.

Paul,

Every indication is they are quite distinct and would not lend to
transplanting.

Reference Calhoun et al if you want more and Dr. Kurt Johnson has
made remarks, I believe on this subject.

Some of the studies we wish to do go in this direction, comparing the
ecology of the two. I think further systemic studies are warranted
also.

Bob Parcelles, jr.
MBBRP Chair

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates & Clean Millennium Movement (C2M)
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale