Miami Blues

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Wed May 8 01:31:32 EDT 2002

Bob Parcelles,Jr. wrote:

> --- Paul Cherubini <monarch at saber.net> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 24 this year Alex Grkovich wrote the following with
>>regard to the Miami Blue:
>>
>>"Well, I was literally tripping all over them last weekend on
>>St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands."
>>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/virgin.jpg
>>
>>A question I have is whether or not the Miami Blue that
>>is abundant in the Caribbean is genetically distinct (to more
>>than a trivial degree) from the Miami Blue that is found in
>>the Florida Keys?  If not, then maybe the Key's population
>>does not warrant endangered species status protection.
>>
>>A couple years ago geneticist Bruce Walsh seemed to
>>have made this point in regard to the Palos Verdes Blue
>>here in California.
>>

> Paul,
>
> Every indication is they are quite distinct and would not lend to
> transplanting.
>
> Reference Calhoun et al if you want more and Dr. Kurt Johnson has
> made remarks, I believe on this subject.
>
> Some of the studies we wish to do go in this direction, comparing the
> ecology of the two. I think further systemic studies are warranted
> also.
>
> Bob Parcelles, jr.
> MBBRP Chair
>
> =====
> Bob Parcelles, Jr
> Pinellas Park, FL
> RJP Associates & Clean Millennium Movement (C2M)
> rjparcelles at yahoo.com

In a later posting, as I recall, Alex said he had been looking at some
other little blue butterfly.
We certainly have no plans to transplant from Caribbean stock, now or
ever, as long as there are colonies on the Keys. If, as Dr. Calhoun and
Dr. Emmel suggested, we try captive breeding, it will be with the
blessing and under the auspices of Fish and Wildlife and the State,
taking no butterflies from the known colony, but offering host plants to
attract egg-laying females, and protecting eggs and larvae as they develop.
Resulting adults would be used to expand the existing colonies, and to
re-establish adjacent colonies where host plants still exist.
Long-term plans follow the pattern offered by the very successful Karner
Blue re-introduction program, and our commercial breeders and butterfly
gardeners are eager to get going with that, but all waits on the
government and the scientists.
Anne Kilmer
Task Force Director
Miami Blue Butterfly Restoration Project