killing butterflies for fun???

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu May 9 13:26:41 EDT 2002

Joseph,

Perhaps 1/2 of the people on the leps list are collectors of lepidoptera. Many
collect for scientific purposes, many collect for their own personal desire to
grow as natural historians. It is unlikely that many or any enjoy killing
butterflies. We may enjoy the hunt or the sense of increased knowledge. We may
even enjoy having large collections in a childishly greedy way. People on this
list tend to be obsessed with Lepidoptera rather than with death. To really know
such diverse organisms, collecting them is the most certain way, even if it is
regrettable to take any life.

We do not need to agree that humans have special God-given rights to destroy
other beings, nor is it obvious that the US constitution gives private citizens
the right to do anything they wish with the natural world. Before the American
revolution, the English (sort of) King had most of those rights over wild
things; after the Constitution, most such rights were taken by the states. This
is why you need a license to hunt deer and are not allowed to hunt pumas at all
in California. But it appears to be the tradition of common law that creatures
of no interest to the King or the state get little legal attention from them.
And it is certainly the tradition of nature that all creatures are somebody's
lunch, and that adult butterflies do not live long no matter how distasteful.

As anyone knows who spends a little time thinking about it (and you say you
have), we cannot live without eating plants or animals. The death of Lepidoptera
due to agricultural pesticides, vehicular lepslaughter and keeping lights on at
night is enormous. If you seriously want to save butterflies and moths from
untimely deaths, you should cut back on your driving and your night-lights. Even
then, each year your food requirements will lead to the death of far more leps
than anyone on this list has ever collected. This is regrettable and I hope you
can handle the guilt.

The people on this list may not hold wise views on this and other issues. And we
may be defensive and offensive. But we sure have thought this through, and we
are not sadists.

Joseph, if you are serious. Get to know some of the butterflies. Buy one of
Jeffrey Glassberg's butterflies through binoculars books. Go to the library and
see what knowledge has come from collecting leps. Hold a swallowtail or
hairstreak butterfly in your hand (alive) and check to see if some bird has
bitten off a tail. Look at a book rich in detail about butterflies such as
Tyler, Brown and Wilson 1994, Swallowtail Butterflies of the Americas. And read
the animal-rights philosopher Peter Singer for a deeper analysis of the
relationship of humans to nature. Then come back and solve our problems for us.

If you are not serious, I hope this is useful to someone who is.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu