killing butterflies for fun???

Jorge Bizarro bizarro at bio.ufpr.br
Thu May 9 18:24:52 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Sugar" <josephsugar736 at hotmail.com>
To: <LEPS-L at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: killing butterflies for fun???

snip
> Telling someone what to wear is different from telling someone not to
murder
> a living thing, dont'cha think????  We are not dealing with opinion, but
> with right vs. wrong.  Generally, those who wish to preserve life are
right.
>   Those who take life are wrong.  I believe I have the support of most
> Americans in this.

ALthough not lepidoptera, this is an interesting argument: if it's a
"person", it's wrong to take life, of course. It happens that individual
plants and animals, virus, don't fullfil the juridic and philosophical
concept of "person"... animals and plants are given rights as "species", not
as persons, ot individuals... did you ever see someone prossecute a pitbull
dog? - Usually it's the owner who gets prossecuted, when it's favorite pet
decides to have a meal on the neighbourhood.

We have a great mess of concepts and ideas here; besides so many worries
with animal life and what about human life? - It's funny that modern western
societies are those in wich a higher % of human babies are... let me put it
in a politically correct euphemistic way... "are discarded before seeing the
light of the sun"!! - Precisely the one's that would latter marvel to all
those gourgeous creatures we are so willing to preserve to the "future"
generations. So many paradoxes...

Best wishes all, and... peace!

Jorge