killing butterflies for fun???

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu May 9 14:36:16 EDT 2002

Ron,

Although I agree with you about many things, you may want to read Plato again
on right and wrong. While I also disagree with Socrates on some of this, he was
quite right to say that if there is an absolute right and wrong, it cannot be
something God creates. Even six year olds say "God is good", and mean something
other than "God is God".

And I am shocked that all of you God-fearing folk really imagine that fear of
God has anything to do with ethics. In particular, it is offensive to those who
do not fear God, yet try to do good things. I am also surprised that you know
so much about what God thinks.

To get back to the issue of collecting, I think that everyone (including me)
who claims to know God's plans for butterflies is speaking for themselves not
God. We should stick with things (subspecies, nomenclature, population ecology
and conservation) that we do know something about.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu