[leps-talk] Glassberg's books

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Mon Oct 21 16:46:13 EDT 2002

I await with interest to get my copy of said book reviews. I am however
intrigued by the words "renegade nomenclature" attributed to one of the
reviewers. Can anyone venture an opinion on how one distinguishes renegade
nomenclature from non- renegade nomenclature ?? The phrase renegade
nomenclature is in my view either an oxymoron/meaningless phrase or it is a
cheap shot from someone who thinks he knows the "right" nomenclature. It is
customery in most fields of human endeavor to denigrate the views of people
one does not agree with by painting said views as "renegade" or "unorthodox"
or some such concept. Often these accusations come from people who are
uncomfortable with dissenting views and try to squelch them or who
mistakenly think the 'establishment' has the right answers. I hasten to add
that renegade nomenclature in my view is impossible unless one is deviating
from the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. We do in fact have
examples of this in some recent books written by members of 'the
establishment' where they have plainly not abided by the Code and oddly
nobody has accused them of 'renegade nomenclature'. seems to be a double
standard here folks; on balance I find that the nomenclature (based on
taxonomic decisions)in Glassberg's books is no better or worse than that
contained in books written by other people.  All authors of books and
articles are free to make their own decisions in a democratic society; too
darn bad if some readers want to view them as renegades -- There are of
course some taxonomic views and resulting names in Glassberg's books that I
do not agree with. I can say the same about every other North American
butterfly book. But my disagreement does not give me license to cry
wolf/renegade; I guess some people see it differently. gosh what a surprise
:-)