[leps-talk] Glassberg's books

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Oct 21 17:37:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" <Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: [leps-talk] Glassberg's books

> I await with interest to get my copy of said book reviews. I am however
> intrigued by the words "renegade nomenclature" attributed to one of the
> reviewers. Can anyone venture an opinion on how one distinguishes
renegade
> nomenclature from non- renegade nomenclature ?? The phrase renegade
> nomenclature is in my view either an oxymoron/meaningless phrase or it is
> cheap shot from someone who thinks he knows the "right" nomenclature. It
is
> customery in most fields of human endeavor to denigrate the views of
people
> one does not agree with by painting said views as "renegade" or
"unorthodox"
> or some such concept. Often these accusations come from people who are
> uncomfortable with dissenting views and try to squelch them or who
> mistakenly think the 'establishment' has the right answers. I hasten to
add
> that renegade nomenclature in my view is impossible unless one is
deviating
> from the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature.

snips

Many other good points in Norbert's post.  I agree with all Norbert said.
The striking negativity of the one reviewer is added to by the loftey
status of the publication it appeared in - The Journal of the
Lepidopterists' Society.   The significance to me is that it illustarates
the reality of the widening gap between traditional lepidopterists and
butterfly watchers.  I know a lot of people in both groups who don't see it
that way.  But this is due to thier having their own heads screwed on
straight rather than that of any "movements" leadership.

The problems will never be resolved until it is acknowledged that they
exist.  My view is that there are actually a lot of people in both camps
who do not like what they at least "perceive" the other camp to be about.
(This can not be wished away or eliminated by denial - i.e. banning the
collecting debate from list serves.)  In fact, I think it is getting worse.
A few years ago it looked like it was just a "feud" between hobby
"collectors" and
watchers.  Now, we see scientists and scientific collectors coming more and
more into the fray.  Anti-science has become added to anti-collecting as
accusational phrases against "naba" via its leadership.  Guilt by
association?   But it is the scientists who are saying this now - and that
is significant.

I am not here to say who is right and wrong.  ( After all. I  am in one
camp myself.)   I am saying that it can't all just be ignored - otherwise
we will end up with two basically uncommunicative opposing groups both
reinventing the wheel.   (Each with their "official" names and "official"
record etc.)  Are the Audubon and Ornithological Union at war?  Where would
we be if that were so?

Ron Gatrelle