[leps-talk] Ron Proves Creationism wrong

Andrew Brower browera at science.oregonstate.edu
Mon Oct 28 14:33:48 EST 2002

The success of butterfly systematics does not depend upon a prior assumption of
evolution.  Just look at Linnaeus, Westwood, Kirby, Macleay, and any number of
pre-Darwinian systematists whose names and taxonomic groupings we still employ
today.  Systematics provides a tremendous source of evidence in favor of a
material, mechanistic theory of evolution.  Creationism is nonempirical and
irrational.  Evolution without empirical support from an independent systematics
is also largely irrational.  These are not pejorative statements about either
belief system, simply a matter of fact.  As scientists, we should concern
ourselves with evidence, not final causes.
For further information, see my paper on this subject in Cladistics 16:143-154.

Andy Brower
Rice Chair of Systematic Entomology
Oregon State U.