Butterflies as symbols

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Sep 17 12:15:51 EDT 2002

Kenelm Philip wrote:

> In addition to their sexual proclivities, and cannibalism, but-
> terflies also have some delightful feeding habits, choosing to imbibe
> fluids from urine, feces, and carrion. At Lake Schrader on the North
> Slope in '73 I saw a fresh steaming pile of human turds just covered
> with happily feeding _Papilio machaon_. Pixies of the natural world?
>
> When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise...
>
> Ken Philip

When most folks see a swarm of flies on the same pile of dung - and a few
maggotts - we turn away and throw up.  But put some butterflies on there
and out come the cameras.   I have no more regard for butterflies than
mosquitoes or roaches.  Or, I could say, I regard roaches and mosquitoes
and slugs as highly as butterflies.  It is thus just as "easy" to kill one
as the other - or save and admire one as the other.   The true beauty of
every living thing is found in its uniqueness - not its esthetic appeal to
human sensitivities.

Personally, I find many self proclaimed "conservationists" and
"environmentalists" to be a joke.  They put flowers in their garden to
attract butterflies and then kill the spiders because they will eat them.
Or, post on how they rescued a butterfly from a spider, assassin bug or
robber fly.  Or, get upset when they find little "maggots" (moth larva)
feeding in the heads of (and ruining) their Purple Cone Flowers.  Or, ugly
"worms" (Brazilian Skipper larvae) trashing their Canna plants. They put
milkweed in their garden to rear Monarchs and then kill the aphids to keep
them from eating the eggs.  Me, I raise those lovely red "aphids" (actually
bug nymphs) and hope the Monarch will pay a visit so they can have some
dessert.  It is not the different strokes for different folks I mind - its
the hypocrisy.

There is a place for everything in this world.  My home is not the place
for two inch roaches, and salt marshes are not the place for housing
developments.  I reserve the right to harass all invaders on my turf -- the
mosquito has the same right.  If I want to visit their area then I can use
insect repellant and we get along fine.

Ron Gatrelle