Speyria nokomis in Oaxaca

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 16:43:17 EST 2003

When we were in Oaxaca a year ago in February, up in the pass at Valle
Nacional at about 9,000' in pine/oak woodland  I saw several butterflies
that looked very much like Nokomis Fritillary of the race coerulescens with
wings black basally and bright orange distally. I can find no reference to
this butterfly ranging further south than Madera and Chihuahua.
Any insights?

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/book.html