Need help with butterfly id

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Wed Mar 12 13:34:23 EST 2003

Donna,

         I agree with the Swamp Metalmark (partly because the location in
Missouri you mentioned has bascially just Calephelis muticum; borealis has
been taken farther north and east).  I also agree with the Silvery
Checkerspot.  It is slightly unusual in appearance on the upperside (the
hindwings have fewer black markings, being more uniformly orange), but
there is no doubt of the identification.  I *don't* think the Thorybes is
confusis, however; the spotting is just a little too large for confusis --
my tentative id is bathyllus, though I'm not 100% positive.

         Those are my thoughts!

         James

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427
FAX:  (706)272-2235
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website:
    www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/
Also check out the Southern Lepidopterists' Society new Website:
    www.southernlepsoc.org/