Monarch Extinction (substantial evidence?)

patrick foley patfoley at csus.edu
Mon Nov 17 17:54:57 EST 2003

Paul,

I would say the same to Eligio as I say to you. Back it up or find
someone to back it up. Otherwise you are fighting science with snapshots.

I must say also that your technique has become increasingly subtle and
what would have been called Jesuitical in the bad old days. As a
Jesuit-trained critic, I appreciate the cleverness. But I still think
you should back up your very strong claims with evidence that can
compete with the evidence provided by Brower and his coauthors Guillermo
Castilleja, Armando Peralta, Jose Lopez-Garcia, Luis Bojorque-Tapia,
Saloman Diaz, Daniela Melarejo and Monica Missrie.

The point is not that we want the forces of dogmatic science and
environmental bureaucracy to overwhelm the poor downtrodden indigenous
people of the world.

The point is that we need to protect habitat in Mexico as elsewhere.
Anyone who has done much science or nature in Mexico knows how poorly
the wonderful natural heritage is protected there. From poaching to
deforestation to corruption to touristic development, Mexico is in
trouble. And I am happy to see the Mexican people setting aside reserves
and preserves. In the long run, and often in the short run it, will pay
the local people to have these wildlife refuges in their neighborhood.

I would rather not have environmental laws, just as I would rather have
fewer laws in general. But there are too many people in the world to
ignore our effect on the rest of nature. Populist antienvironmentalism
is as false a pose as it is a solution to the world's real problems.

Patrick
patfoley at csus.edu