Brower replies- The most recent ranting about monarch butterfly conservation

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Thu Oct 9 19:55:21 EDT 2003

And likewise, I  was waiting for you to give this kind of response so
that I can say: You are missing the point! Your definition of a
successful species, exemplified by your examples, is one that has
already _passed_ the test, whatever it may be. The passenger pigeon did
not pass its test and so it is extinct. You cannot say the Monarch will
be a successful species with regard to the Mexico migration until it has
passed its test, which in this case will be adapting to the human
destruction of the habitat it is now using or may use in lieu of its
current overwintering habitat. This may take many years to be realized.
Stan