Hand Pairing vs. Greenhouse Natural Breeding

Mike Leski peterlep28 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 23:02:10 EDT 2004

Marc and everyone-

I kept a light on the female that slightly warmed the box.  They don't usually flap or try to fly, and keeping a lot of host plant in the box helps prevent this.  I'm not sure if there were any odd males, no dramatic forms emerged, and females were normal.  But, when you see a fresh one you realize how they got their name!  I'm looking for a photo of calverleyi, if anyone knows of one.

I raised these to see if any odd ones would pop up.  I've taken a pseudoamericus near Houston, and also P. americus asterius from Fronton, TX, on a day that I observed over a 100 polyxenes in two hours.  Chris Durden gave me the second name.  He also believes the Texas pseudoamericus are actually a distinct species more common further south, especially Mexico.  The RGV crew regularly report sightings and photographs of this bug, see their website.

I'm interested in pseudoamericus because I suspect it may be a 'superbreeder' that can outcompete other males in mating territorial battles, which are won based on their band width.  A similar phenomenom has been observed in mammals, where very large males occasionally are found in a population, emigrate, and spread their genetic wealth.

Mike

PS:  I learned this week that someone raises leps in Reno, NV, perhaps commercially.  You might try the Lep soceity membership directory to track down a breeder.

Glaucus <glaucus at earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks very much! You're the fourth person who's had the experience of using a small container sucessfully with Papilios. I always assumed that a large greenhouse was the answer. That way, the females could be collected and placed in there, allowed to fly around and mate or lay eggs as they would in the wild. Several people seem to find heating them up via lights is the best way, and many people use small containers. I just can't imagine a Swallowtail even flapping in a shoebox, let alone calming down enough to lay eggs. Very interesting! Out of curiouity, were your "full banded" males normal, or unique in the banding somehow (i.e. calverleyi)? Thanks again very much! I'll have to try the close-quarters method this Spring.

Best Regards,

Marc

P.S.  I'm on the look out for chrysalises of rutulus or canadensis to overwinter. If you happen to know of anyone who has any, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!