A Million Monarchs Fill the Sky on Oct. 17

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Sat Oct 23 12:33:51 EDT 2004

Paul Cherubini wrote:

>I copied the text and photo below from the Journey
>North Website:
>http://www.learner.org/jnorth/fall2004/monarch/Update102204.html
>====================================
>Over the weekend, Dr. Bill Calvert was traveling with a
>film crew in northern Mexico. He witnessed what was
>perhaps the most spectacular migration of his lifetime.
>
>"There were a million butterflies in the air," he exclaimed.
> "It was just absolutely phenomenal. The sky was pure
>butterfly! Here are some pictures, courtesy of
>photographer Jonathan Dueck.
>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/Monterrey1017.jpg
>But they just don't do it justice.

The last sentence is very true, i.e., "But they just don't do it
justice". It certainly does not because it did not fulfil my expectation
of what it would show me after reading the text, e.g., "The sky was pure
butterfly". No doubt this was very spectacular as Dr. Calvert says, but
the image shows that in this case one image is NOT worth a thousand
words. Could this image mislead the general public as to size of a
healthy Monarch population?
Stan