Fw: Re: [SoWestLep] 2005 prospects for S. Calif. and NW Arizona.

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Sat Jan 22 13:06:17 EST 2005

Dear lepsters,

While I think there are substantial problems in actually implementing a
research program to evaluate the success of butterfly adaptation to SW
climate, let me suggest a few hal-baked ideas.

We need two (or perhaps three) quantities that are difficult to measure:
1) How long has a Bfly species been committed to a SW desert lifestyle?
In principle this might require serious population genetic
(phylogeographic) data for species and subspecies in SW.
Any ideas about sloppy ways to get such a measure? Can a natural history
approach based on morphological desert adaptations help? What would
these be? Color? Hairiness?
2) How well adapted is a Bfly species to the rain regime?
I think that one of the best measures of this would be a ratio of the
rainy year Bfly population size to its rainy year carrying capacity K.
Now it may be tricky to get a precise measure of the carrying capacity
for a given year, but it should be proportional to the numbers of the
host plants.
Walkers and other high intensity collectors, do you have any rough
quantitative measures of population size?
Other ideas?
3) One other thing to measure is how much genetic migration occurs from
outside the desert to inside it in the Bfly species.