LepSoc News

Fred Heath fred.heath at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 27 14:54:19 EDT 2005

Dear Ron,
	Please excuse my two cents from the watcher perspective (but a
LepSoc member for several years), however I see this latest issue as
fine for attracting new members from the watcher side. I just returned
last night from Europe and looked over my copy for the first time with
my coffee this morning. I had read the editorial a few weeks ago when
you first raised questions about it and was not particularly offended by
it, although like editorials anywhere, I don't necessarily agree with
everything in it.
	The issue had a great article about all those new U.S. records
in the LRGV which turns us watcher types on, as well as an article with
lots of pretty pictures of butterflies from some tropical paradise (my
jet lag must be kicking in because I can't remember where in the world
that article was about....not Suriname as that was in the previous
issue). As a marketing type (in electronics and not leps), I think this
issue will be great for attracting new members.
-----Best regards, Fred

Ron wrote:
No one is to be "blamed" because we don't know the future.  So my first
point is that the hand-out was a great idea.  None of the people on the
committee or in EC leadership have ANY fault in this whatsoever _before
the
fact_.  No one knew that when the product hit the shelves that it would
have been tampered with and need a recall.

My second point is that Charles is right about rushed.  When one decides
put out a promotional product one should simply have the finished
promotional product in hand to make sure there are no glitches.

If the plan went as planned nothing would be going on right now and
everyone would be happily and patting the committee on the back at the
meeting.   But, one person's unilateral action became the fly in the
perfume.  The product has went to the standard customers BUT it has not
yet
been put on the AZ meeting "shelf yet".   It can't be recalled from Lep.
Soc. circulation.  However, the bottom line in this thread is that it
still
_has not_ been put out on the shelf at the AZ meeting.   Per the
membership
committee idea, it is being talked about here like it has been
implemented
_which it has not_.  Until they are actually passed out it remains but a
PLAN.  All sides have had their internet say, now it is just a matter of
those who will make the final decision deciding if the product is still
OK
to put on this particular shelf.

As I said earlier, passed out or not, it is certainly not something I
want
to talk about at the meeting.  I just want to have a good positive time
there personally and show the TILS flag.

Ron Gatrelle