rearing nymphalids on artificial diets

Sean Mullen spm23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 22 16:26:53 EST 2006

Hey folks,

Well, it is a miserable, rainy day in D.C. and so I thought I would
fire off a general question to the list.

Has anyone had success rearing Nymphalids, particularly Limenitis, on
artificial diet?  If so, I'd be interested in recipes, methods, etc.

I've twice reared multiple generations of L. arthemis arthemis x L.
arthemis astyanax in the lab but both times I ran into problems with
declining hostplant quality over the course of the summer.

Obviously, being able to generate a large amount of larval food ahead
of time that is all of high-quality would vastly simplify this process.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean