FW: Mariposas Mexicanas is growing dramatically

Mike Quinn Mike.Quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Mon Jan 16 15:32:33 EST 2006

FYI, Mike Quinn, Austin

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stangeland
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:08 PM
To: TX-BUTTERFLY at LISTSERV.UH.EDU
Subject: Re: mylitta? time will tell........

->  PS: Yet again, I have to say a few words of praise for the work
Mike+Kim
and Andy are doing for the MX-BF site. I'm very proud of your
collaboration,
and we will surely have the best info about MX-BF fauna at our
fingertips,
maybe in not-so-distant future.

Thanks Ed, because of the generosity and hard work of a diverse crowd of
butterfly loving people Mariposas Mexicanas is growing dramatically.
We've
loaded over 3500 photos and 63 scientific papers. Some of the most
exciting
additions are the 500 or so photos from Jim Brock of immatures (pupa,
larva,
eggs) that he's taken over the last 30 years, a real gold mine of
information, much of it one-of-a-kind. Will and Gill Carter have allowed
us
to post all of their incredible collection of live adult photos from
Mexico
and we're still loading Kim Garwood's remarkable work, she's donated her
entire collection also.

We had hoped to receive a lot of pinned specimen photos for the archive,
we've gotten a few but much of what was expected never materialized.
Fortunately Kim Garwood introduced us to Dave Robacker, a lepidopterist
here
in the valley that has been collecting in Mexico for decades and has a
remarkable collection. One of the most exciting, rewarding, and
educational
experiences Kim and I have ever had has been photographing his
collection
over the last two months. It'll take a few weeks or more to get it all
processed and loaded but when it is it'll give the site real depth. Dave
and
Karen, we sincerely appreciate you allowing us to post your remarkable
work.
Here's an example of what we'll have for close to 1000 species over
time.

http://www.mariposasmexicanas.com/eurytides_macrosilaus_penthesilaus.htm

Best picture on the entire website! Amy Johnson, about 12 years, is and
excellent butterfly photographer. She sent us this remarkable photograph
from her trip to Xilitla, San Luis Potosi, Mexico. (best be sitting down
when this one comes up!)

http://www.mariposasmexicanas.com/caligo_uranus.htm

Next Kim and I are going to Tucson to photograph Jim Brock's wonderful
collection, between he and Dave Robacker I think we'll have most of the
Mexican species represented. We've really enjoyed our stay here in the
LRGV
and will be back next year.

Life is good..........Mike and Kim

=